Pancakes are amazingly easy and quick to make, there are many healthy, nutritious varieties to choose from and almost everyone loves them. Also from the same dough, you can make waffles. You just need a waffle maker.
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2cups organic milk or unsweetened plant milk
- 1tsp vanilla paste or rum essence or zest from1 organic lemon
- Pinch of salt.
- 3-4 heaped tbsp plain Greek yogurt or organic vanilla yogurt
You can make these pancakes even more nutritious by adding 1-2 tbsp of crushed mixed seeds like flax seeds or chia seeds and serve with one of our toppings.
- In the medium bowl whisk together milk, vanilla paste, egg and pinch of salt.
- Slowly stir in the flour.
- Add yogurt and whisk well to a smooth batter.
- Set aside to rest until you get everything else ready or if you want to use it later. Alternatively leave overnight in the fridge to be ready for breakfast.
- Set a medium frying pan, crêpe pan or pancake pan and wipe it with some oiled kitchen paper or pastry brush.
- When hot, pour in small pools of batter about 2 tbsp for each.
- Fry the pancakes for about 1 min on each side on medium – to low heat until golden. (you will know when is time to flip over, when little bubbles will appear in the middle)
- For waffles, follow instructions on your waffle maker.
Pancakes toppings ideas:
- Chocolate and fruit
Melt high quality dark chocolate with a little bit of milk or just shred chocolate on hot pancakes. Top up with banana and crushed nuts.
- Warm Fruit
Just chop and warm up the fruit of your choice. Drizzle with maple syrup if it requires more sweeter.
- Twaróg and raisins
Mix twaróg with cinnamon, raisins, a little bit of milk and sweeten with maple syrup or honey. This topping is very high in natural protein and makes a great post training recovery snack.
Spread 100% nuts peanut butter on your pancake, spread homemade jam on the other one and then just stick together.
- Waffles with yoghurt and fruit
Top up your waffles with no added refined sugar jam, greek yogurt and sweet fresh fruit. As a bonus, shred a bit of dark chocolate.
-You can swap flour for spelt flour and milk for plant milk
-Topping, only use maple or date syrup, honey, no added sugar jam or fruit to sweeten it up. 100% nut butters, yogurt or twaróg, nuts and seeds.
-If using chocolate, choose dark or the one sweetened with coconut sugar or stevia.
-Once cold, you can layer the pancakes between baking parchment, then store in the food box and freeze for up to 2 months.